Hairspray Live! – Coming in December 2016
Some of you may or may not be familiar with the newest Musical Theatre craze that’s begun to hit your TV’s over the recent few years, for all of us poor pocketed folk, Musicals being livestreamed to your TV screen couldn’t be better! Some of the biggest hits we’ve seen so far have been ‘The Sound of Music’ and ‘Grease’. If you haven’t seen these two then you’re definitely missing out, but don’t worry just make sure you catch the next one, which, if you haven’t already guessed from the title of the post, is the 60’s classic, Hairspray.
“Welcome to the 60’s where Tracy Turnblad, a big girl with big hair and an even bigger heart, is on a mission to follow her dreams. You Can’t Stop The Beat as she sets out to dance her way onto national TV with The Nicest Kids In Town. Tracy’s audition makes her a local star and soon she is using her new-found fame to fight for equality, bagging local heartthrob Link Larkin along the way!” – Official Hairspray Tour Website
Hitting our TV screens in December 2016, this NBC produced feature has a stellar cast line up in store for us. The cast is as follows;
- Tracy Turnblad – Maddie Ballio – Just in case you weren’t aware, our leading lady is infact a complete newbie, she was chosen from an open casting call, out of over 1,000 auditionees. Let’s all agree we are all very excited to see what Maddie is capable of!
- Penny Pingleton – Ariana Grande – Now this is not Ariana’s first TV appearance, she has been singing on TV for a while now, starring in shows such as Victorious on Nickelodeon; but Ariana has already had her broadway stage debut in the 2008 production of ‘13 – The Musical’, written by Jason Robert Brown, the same man who brought you ‘The Last Five Years’.
- Edna Turnblad – Harvey Fierstein – After originating the role of Edna Turnblad in the original it only makes sense that he sould reappear to claim his rightful place in that dress and wig, and it’s safe to say i’m sure we will all be impressed.
- Wilbur Turnblad – Martin Short – NBC have managed to catch themselves a real comedian for the role of Wilbur. Martin Short is a well-known singer, writer, actor, producer and comedian, who has worked on a number of films and TV shows. This Live feature should be no problem for him then!
- Motormouth Maybelle – Jennifer Hudson – Known for her award winning role as Effie White in Dreamgirls, we see the fantastic Jennifer Hudson appear as the soulful character of Motormouth Maybelle. Currently finishing up her time and her Broadway Debut in the hit Musical ‘The Colour Purple’. No doubt she will be perfect for this role!
- Velma Von Tussle – Kristin Chenoweth – The Broadway Queen has returned! Taking on the classiest role in the show, Kristin will appear in all the glitz and glamour as the one and only Velma. After appearing in the Disney Film ‘Descendants’ with fellow cast member Dove Cameron, as the evil Maleficent we are certain she can take on the devious character that is Velma Von Tussle.
- Corny Collins – Derek Hough – Professional dance and choreographer, Derek Hough has most definitely got the background to play the show host role of Corny Collins. Hough is known for his work on the hit show Dancing With The Stars, the musical TV show Nashville and his appearances in shows such as Footloose in 2006. He is definitely like able enough and isn’t too bad on the eyes if we’re quite honest, we’re sure he’ll be great as Mr Corny Collins.
This Hairspray cast also includes; Disney’s Dove Cameron as Velma’s devious daughter Amber Von Tussle, and fellow Disney star, Garrett Clayton, as the teenage heart-throb that is Link Larkin.
As you can see, with a star stocked cast, this Live version of the classic show that is Hairspray has got to go down with a hit! Now don’t stress if you don’t know all of the plot, luckily for you theres a film version that already exists so why not take a peek at that and boogie along. You’ve got to prepare yourself because I can guarantee this NBC hit is going to get you up on those toes from the first minute! Don’t forget to look out for more information here about Hairspray Live closer to its release in December, you won’t want to miss this one out!